8 November 2015

Book Review: Clockwork Angel

 

Clockwork Angel Review

Rating: ✭✭✭✭


Title: Clockwork Angel
Author: Cassandra Clare
Genre: YA, Romance, Adventure, Fantasy
Publication: 2010
Format: Paperback, 482 pages
Source: Personal Copy

"Pulvis et umbra sumus," Said Will, not looking at her as he spoke. "I believe we are dust and shadows."

- Will, Chapter 8, 181

Clockwork Angel is the first novel in The Infernal Devices trilogy, set in the 1800's during the London Victorian Era; a prequel to Cassandra Clare's series The Mortal Instruments series. The plot begins with a 16 year old girl named Tessa who is kidnapped when travelling from New York to London in search of her missing brother. She is continually tortured and forced to use a power she didn't even know she had until she stumbles across a world of supernatural creatures and magic. There, she discovers her allies are the demon-hunting half-angel Shadowhunters and finds herself attracted to two boys whilst trying to stay away from a man who is out to find her and use her powers for evil.

I began reading this book with high expectations because of it's hype and I had previously read The Mortal Instruments which I loved. The book did not disappoint. I found Cassandra's writing style very easy to read and understand so the plot was easy to follow. The Victorian aspect of Clockwork Angel was written really well and I found myself enjoying the story more and being lost in the pages of the cobblestone city called London.

In regards with the plot, I didn't find much of a problem apart from the story moving minutely slow. The plot was engaging and full of twists that kept me on the edge of my seat and wanting more. The story does include a love triangle which may draw conclusions to this book and deem it as a cliche in the literature world of romance but I assure you that it completely deviates from the traditional love triangle that isn't much of a triangle but of a 'V'. Each character is slightly oblivious to each others feelings making it all the more inclusive and intriguing. I can't wait to see how Tessa and both boys cope with their romantic entanglements in the next books. Also, this booking is amazing in the fact that the characters drive the plot direction in a realistic path and with relative-to-the-issue motives.

I found that the characters in this novel were written brilliantly because they all had their unique and distinctive qualities or 'voices'. I love how this book was written as a dual-perspective and doesn't revolve around one character but many. This made it easier for me connect with each and understand their motives clearly. I was becoming more engaged with Clockwork Angel as the book went on and more invested in the character's stories. The protagonist, Tessa, was very likeable and realistic, likewise with her love interests Jem and Will. Them and the other characters all made for some  humorous and emotional scenes that I really enjoyed.

Clockwork Angel is literally overflowing with edgy plot twists that propel the progress of the story only forward. It is a great combination of thrill, romance and fantasy packed into adventure. I have very little to complain about this book and would definitely recommend this book for everyone who loves romance and action with a historical twist. I am definitely looking forward to the sequels and development of this story and it's characters.


 
© 2012. Design by Main-Blogger - Blogger Template and Blogging Stuff