22 November 2015

We Were Liars - Quote Compendium

 

Quote Compendium: We Were Liars


We Were Liars by E. Lockhart is my one of my favourite books and expectedly, there are many quotes that I love and would like to share with you. Also, If you are intending to read this book be very aware that this will reveal spoilers and highly recommend you do not spoil yourself for this book.

Note: I have the paperback version with 225 pages by publishing company Allen & Unwin

Suffer.
You could say it means endure, but that's not exactly right.
- C2, P4

Then he pulled out a handgun and shot me in the chest. I was standing on the lawn and I fell. The bullet hole opened wide and my heart rolled out of my rib cage and down into a flower bed. Blood gushed rhythmically from my open wound,
then from my eyes,
my ears, 
my mouth.
It tasted like salt and failure. The bright red shame of being unloved soaked the grass in front of our house, the bricks of the path, the steps of the porch. My heart spasmed among the peonies like a trout.
- C2, P5

He was contemplation and enthusiasm. Ambition and strong coffee. I could have looked at him forever.
- C4, P10

We looked at the sky. So many stars, it seemed like a celebration, a grand, illicent party the galaxy was holding after the humans had been put to bed.
- C8, P21

"Can I hold your hand?" he asked.
I put mine in his.
"The universe is seeming really huge right now," he told me. "I need something to hold on to."
"I'm here."
- C8, P21

We were warm and shivering,
and young and ancient,
and alive.
- C9, P24

Silence is a protective coating over pain
- C11, P29

Someone once wrote that a novel should deliver a series of small astonishments. I get the same thing spending an hour with you.
- C11, P30

I'll be fine, they tell me.
I won't die.
It'll just hurt a lot/
- C13, P34

Does she stay because she loves him as meat loves salt?
Or does she stay because he has now promised her the kingdom?
It is hard for her to tell the difference.
- C16, P45

She is sugar. She is curiosity and rain.
- C23, P64

Be a little kinder than you have to.
- C38, P101

 Do not accept an evil you can change.
- C38, P101

Alway do what you're afraid to do.
- C38, P102

One day, she ventured to the palace library and was delighted to find what good company books could be.
- C40, P105

If you want to live where people are not afraid of mice, you must give up living in palaces.
- C40, P106

Life feels beautiful that day.
The four of us Liars, we have always been.
We always will be.
- C45, P122

This island is ours. Here, in some way, we are young forever.
- C45, P122

That first day you came back I noticed Gat. He looked at you like you were the brightest planet in the galaxy.
- C50, P132

Now he was free to go forth and make a name for himself in the wide, wide world.
And maybe, 
just maybe,
he'd come back one day, 
and burn that
fucking
palace
to the ground.
- C57, P148

Grow up Cadence. See the world as it is, not as you wish it would be.
- C67, P173

What if we could stop being
different colours, different backgrounds, and just be in love?
What if we could force everyone to change?
- C71, P180

He was a person who couldn't fake a smile but smiled often.
- C71, P180

Gat and I talked to Mirren and Johnny.
Convinced them to take action.
We told each other
over and over: do what you are afraid to do.
We told each other.
Over and over, we said it.
We told each other
we were right.
- C71, P181

A self-punishment. He built himself a home that isn't a home. It's deliberately uncomfortable.
- C71, P183

"I can't even say sorry," she tells me. "There is not even a Scrabble word for how bad I feel."
- C74, P189

She confused being spartan with being charitable, and gave away her possessions without truly doing good with them.
She confused being sick with being brave, and suffered agonies while imagining she merited praise for it.
She confused wit with intelligence, and made people laugh rather than lightening their hearts or making them think.
- C79, P197

Here I am frozen, when I deserve to burn.
- C82, P209

Be sad, be sorry - but don't shoulder it.
- C84, P216

My full name is Cadence Sinclaie Eastman.
I suffer migraines. I do not suffer fools.
I like a twist of meaning.
I endure.
- C87, P225

 
© 2012. Design by Main-Blogger - Blogger Template and Blogging Stuff