8 November 2015

Quote Compendium: All The Bright Places

 


I recently read All The Bright Places by Jennifer Niven and loved it! I have sticky notes all over the pages, just like Finch's wall. The following are a bunch of quotes I loved. Keep in mind that some of these quotes contain spoilers.


Small Note:
My edition of the novel is the Penguin Books paperback copy with 378 pages; pages may differ in different editions.


"The thing suicides don't focus is their wake. Not just your parents and siblings, but your friends, your girlfriends, your classmates, your teachers." I like the way he seems to think I have many, many people depending on me, including not just one but multiple girlfriends.
- Mr Embry, Theodore Finch, Page 14

I'm still here, and I'm grateful, because otherwise I would be missing this. Sometimes it's good to be awake.
"So not today," I sing. "Because she smiled at me."
- Theodore Finch, Page 42

Love is truly the great manifesto; the urge to be, to count for something, and, if death must come, to die valiantly, with acclamation - in short, to remain a memory.
- Theodore Finch (quoting), Page 56

Arrange whatever pieces come your way.
- Violet Markey (quoting), Page 75

My brain is to me the most unaccountable of machinery - always buzzing, humming, soaring roaring diving, and then buried in mud. And why? What's this passion for?
- Theodore Finch (quoting), Page 76

When you consider things like the stars, our affairs don't seem to matter very much, do they?
- Violet Markey, Page 76

I am rooted, but I flow.
- Violet Markey (quoting), Page 76

You make me feel gold, flowing.
- Theodore Finch, Page 76

If all else perished, and he remained, I should still continue to be; and if all else remained, and he were annihilated, the universe would turn to a mighty stranger.
- Violet Markey (quoting), Page 80

I am holding on to handles of my bike, an old orange ten-speed inherited from Eleanor. She named it Leroy because she liked being able to say to our parents, "I was out riding Leroy," and "I'm just going to ride Leroy for a while."
- Violet Markey, Page 89

You could have been in every way all that anyone could be....If anybody could have saved me it would have been you.
- Theodore Finch (quoting), Page 106

Just be careful with that heart of yours.
- Kate Finch, Page 165

You are all the colours at one full brightness.
- Theodore Finch, Page 172


I walk through the black Indiana night, under a ceiling of stars, and think about the phrase "elegance and euphoria," and how it describes exactly what I feel with Violet.
- Theodore Finch, Page 202

You're just existing like everyone else.
- Theodore Finch, Page 225

Ultraviolet Remarkey-able, I think I love you."
- Theodore Finch, Page 228

"We don't have to."
"I know."
And then I close my eyes as my own towel drops and the song comes to an end.
- Violet Markey, Theodore Finch, Page 230


She is oxygen, hydrogen, nitrogen, calcium, and phosphorus. The same elements that are inside the rest of us, but I can't help thinking she's more than that and she's got other elements going on that no one's ever heard of, ones that make her stand apart from everybody else. 
- Theodore Finch, Page 231

"But I bring it up to let you know that this is the way I feel right now. Like Pluto and Jupiter are aligned with the earth and I'm floating."
In a minute, she says, "You're so weird, Finch. But that's the nicest thing anyone's ever said to me.
- Theodore Finch, Violet Markey, Page 234


She puts one leg in the car and says, "I guess now you know you're not the only freak." It's the nicest thing she's ever said to me.
- Amanda Monk, Theodore Finch, Page 286


am
in
pieces.

- Theodore Finch, Page 297

And I slam out of the door knowing full well he can't follow me, even though I tell myself: If he really loves you, he'll find a way.
- Violet Markey, Page 307

We do not remember days, we remember moments.
- Theodore Finch (quoting), Page 315

Two days later, Finch writes: I am on the highest branch.
Later that night: We are written in paint.
The next afternoon: The glow of Ultraviolet
The day after that: A lake. A prayer. It's so lovely to be lovely in Private.
And then everything goes quiet.
- Violet Markey, Theodore Finch, Page 317-318

As he talks, I lie back against the ground, the blanket wrapped around me, and say to the sky, "May your eye go to the Sun, To the wind your soul....You are all the colours in one, at full brightness."
- Violet Markey, Page 338

We can't always see what others don't want us to. Especially when they go to great lengths to hide it.
- Mr. Embry, Page 347

I am forever changed.
- Violet Markey, Page 349

He was trying to fix himself because of you.
- Amanda Monk, Page 351

The thing I realise is that it's not what you take, it's what you leave.
- Violet Markey, Page 376

Theodore Finch - I was alive. I burned brightly. And then I died, but not really. Because someone like me cannot, will not, die like everyone else. I linger like the legends of the Blue Hole. I will always be here, in the offerings and people I left behind.
- Violet Markey, Page 378

No longer rooted, but gold, flowing. I feel a thousand capacities spring up in me.
- Violet Markey, Page 378
 
© 2012. Design by Main-Blogger - Blogger Template and Blogging Stuff